Happy Earth Day!! Today is Xander's first Earth Day and we intend to celebrate it by planting a tree. It's important to me to raise a respectful, kind and conscious human being and by planting a tree, I am hoping to plant those seeds. Xander and I had so much fun at the nursery that I intend to make planting trees our newest family tradition.
Enjoy the images from our little adventure and see below for additional ways to love up on mother earth.
1. PLANT TREES // Trees are earth's purification system-- they improve our air quality by reducing emissions. Trees are little miracle workers, see why here. Partner with Arbor Day Foundation to source affordable trees and shrubs here
2. LOCALLY SOURCED FOOD // Reduce emissions by cutting down transportation miles and reduce unnecessary packaging. Whether you grow a food garden or source from your local farmers, be sure to favor growers who do not spray their crops with pesticides and other petri-based chemicals as these erode the soil and end up contaminating our water supply. Find a local CSA (community supported agriculture) in your area here
3. DITCH BOTTLED WATER // Help reduce waste by investing in a water filtration system and reusable bottles
4. REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS // Replace all your shopping bags (paper and plastic) with reusable bags
5. CLEANING SUPPLIES // Use biodegradable cleaning products or even better make your own. Replace paper towel with reusable towels
6. PACK LUNCH // Pack your lunches and snacks in reusable containers
7. ONLINE SUBSCRIPTIONS // Sign-up to receive monthly statements and magazine subscriptions electronically
8. PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTATS // Program your thermostat accordingly while sleeping or away from home
9. REDUCE WATER CONSUMPTION // Take shorter showers, shut off the facet while brushing teeth or washing hair, and water your lawn in the early morning or evening to minimize water evaporation
10. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION // Use public transportation and ride sharing as much as possible. Biking and walking are also great ways to reduce carbon emissions
The key is to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. When possible void packaging or purchase items with the least amount of packaging, support environmentally friendly companies, buy second hand, repurpose, donate, and recycle. For more ways to reduce your carbon foot print visit The Nature Conservancy here.
Happy Earth Day!! How are you getting involved?